Monday, June 9, 2014

Rainy day and ESY begins

I was so hopeful this week would be easier. ESY started and there would be 3 whole hours a day that E would be busy and I was going to get so much done...
E struggles with changes in routine. He gets very nervous and tends to act erratically. Summer is a care free and unscheduled time which I remember loving as a child. For E, summer brings fears, anxiety and lots of uncertainty. I do the best I can to tell him and show him a daily schedule. He repeats it in Proloquo over and over. I reassure him each time that is what we are doing. Sometimes, things change. E had a great first day at ESY and I am very thankful for that. When we left I noticed he was a bit erratic and tried to let him touch the sprinklers and stop signs and do other things he needed. I parked the car on the usual street, but it was a little closer to the school  because ESY is not as crowded as school during the year. Perhaps this was a BIG mistake. E was upset the car was not in the other spot further down the road. I told him I would park there tomorrow. We walked down so he could see the spot and walked back to the car. E did not want to get in the car. I was already muddy around my waist from picking him up several times. He finally got in the car, but the car seat still was empty. Behaviors started. Car key was tossed in the front seat by E and he locked the doors. Thankful I had the back passenger door open, I climbed in and opened the front door setting off the car alarm and more behaviors. Let's just say it was not a pretty site and my 12:30 board meeting, I missed. We made it home and the day was revamped. I sent my report for the board meeting I was missing. E regrouped and has now been outside for 3 hours playing with water. It's very calming for him. It's raining, but no thunder so it's still safe. Very muddy and messy and he is completely calm and happy. Maybe the rest of the week will be easier...

No comments:

Post a Comment