Thursday, February 5, 2015

Life can be scary

Post written 10-14-14
When you are young, you never realize just how very scary life can be. If you are lucky, it's not something you find out until much later in life. I found out on 2/24/2006 just how scary mine can get. We had taken our first son Porter in for a routine heart cath procedure. We were assured there were no risks and he would be back at school Monday. It was a Friday and Porter would never be back at school or home ever again. When you hold your child for the first time there is such happiness. When you hold your child for the last time there is a deep sadness that never ever leaves.
I cannot change what happened, but I can never ever make the same mistake again. The mistake I made was listening to a healthcare professional over my gut. My mommy instinct. I knew there was something not right. I had rescheduled this procedure once already. I tried again, but our dr said he needed it. He had no symptoms that I could see. I listened to the doctors. We took Porter for the procedure. He died.
Now it's 2014 and Ebola is here. It's not only here but a parent at E's school thinks it fine to be in an apartment of quarantine people before it's been decontaminated with no protective clothing. That's not fine with me. I will not make the same mistake twice. My mommy instinct says wait 21 days. Guess where E has been since this started... Even before Mr Duncan died... At home.

No comments:

Post a Comment